Thursday, March 17, 2011

Corporations Dress Codes

Do you think that the dress codes for corporations are necessary? Today for most professional jobs it is required to be dressed in collared shirt and tie. There are many reasons for that. Corporations don’t want you coming into their job, jus dressed in anything. That would be unprofessional and would give off a bad image. It is said that you come dressed for the job you want. Some working conditions require you to dress a certain way. Some people think it’s too strict. You don’t want to be looked at different just because you are dressed inappropriate for the job. You have to obey the rules and regulations that were issued. Dressing correctly for the job, shows that you have class, that you follow the guidelines, and that you’re a businessman.  There may be a couple opportunities from dressing up. If your job has a dress code they expect you to follow it. Some jobs dress codes are not even strict. For example, I use to work at playtime pizza. The dress code there was the company t-shirt, cargo shorts or jeans, and sneakers. That was a relaxing dress code that was followed by everyone. It also depends on what type of company you are working for. If you work someone like Chuck-e-Cheese, or Playtime Pizza, the dress code will not be as strict. If you work somewhere like Fed, IRS, or at a business office, you’re expected to dress business attire or business casual. This is something that is also an issue to some people. How do you feel about it

2 comments:

  1. I am reminded of a case that happened several years ago. A woman was fired from her company because she refused to wear makeup, which the company required, to work. She sued the company for sexual discrimination. I don't remember if she won or not, but I think she had a really good case: if you require women to wear makeup to work, then you have to require men to as well.

    You don't mention it in your post but there is a real double standard when it comes to men's and women's dress in the workplace, depending, as you do mention, on the company and the profession. At the beginning of every semester, I feel compelled to wear skirts and high heels. I'll be honest; I wear the high heels because I'm short, and it's a fact that taller people are more respected. Or at least a lot of studies have indicated this.

    I know I wouldn't want to be a corporate lawyer. That's the one profession that is the most conservative when it comes to manner of dress. Judges have thrown lawyers out for contempt of court because they didn't like the way they were dressed, even in criminal trials. If you'll notice, I relax a bit by mid-term; I feel I've established my authority and a sense of respect, hopefully of trust, too.

    It's interesting how dress can say so much about us and what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear CorporateAmbition,
    I understand what you are trying to get at in this blog.Dress codes play a big role in the corporations in the world today."Today for most professional jobs it is required to be dressed in collared shirt and tie."This stuck out to me because I have seen many people who got turned down from jobs because they didnt like the collar shirt and tie rule.This just shows that you willing to do anything for business."The dress code there was the company t-shirt, cargo shorts or jeans, and sneakers."This also stood out to me, because i have been part of a corporation that dress code was similar to this.This type of corporations requires more movement.I will like to thank you for writing on this topic.This is something that more people need to take in mind.

    House Finch

    ReplyDelete