Monday, April 25, 2011

Corporations On Holidays

Have you ever wondered why some of the major corporations, be open on holidays. I have noticed that for a while now. Its not always the big corporations either. I use to work at the dollar movie theatre in North Little Rock. We were opened on every holiday that you can think of. That kind of mad me upset, even though I got paid extra on holiday I didn’t want to be stuck at the movies on Christmas. I think each corporation should have a number of holidays that they could be open. I work at Wal-Mart, there will be times I will work on holidays, and I will have to cut my schedule short with my family. I do think that is wrong. We should be able not to work on major holidays and spend that time with our family. There should be some done about this. I have asked my about some information about this topic. I was told that some stores like Wal-Mart and Kroger have to be open on Christmas. The reason being, because there are family out there that will come to the store on the day of Christmas and get things at last minute for their family dinner or last minute Christmas shopping. I think its wrong for stores to be open on holidays. Its taking time from the people that is working, from their families. What do you think about this situation? Do you think corporations should keep working on holidays, or not?

1 comment:

  1. Dear Writer,

    Thanks for posting this blog that will bring up many different views and opinions. I do think that you have made a pretty good case, and there's lots to be said about this topic.

    One thing that really stood out to me was your statement, "That kind of mad me upset, even though I got paid extra on holiday I didn’t want to be stuck at the movies on Christmas." I'm sure it would be very hard to work every holiday, especially Christmas. It's a special time you want to spend with your family and friends. I was surprised that a business like that movie theater was open on Christmas, because like you mentioned, it was a smaller business.

    I disagreed with your opinion "I think its wrong for stores to be open on holidays." I know it must be hard to work on holidays, but giving customers what they want and need is important to the business so that they make sure they have dedicated customers. Being open on holidays for emergencies makes them more reliable and more likely to have customers depend on them. You wouldn't believe how many people have to make the quick run to the store the day of. I, along with so many other shoppers, are so thankful for people like you who work on the holidays.

    Thanks for posting this blog. It was good to hear the other side of the opinion even if I had my own. I hope you continue more blogs as interesting as this one.

    Sincerely,

    Baltimore Oriole

    ReplyDelete